Accidental Death Benefit Insurance
What is ADB?
Accidental death benefit (ADB) acts as short term cover when we cannot provide an immediate decision on your application. It’s important to have some cover whilst you wait.
In this instance we may need to write to you for additional medical or personal information.
- Guaranteed acceptance
- Free for anyone left waiting for a decision
- Pay-out up to £100,000 or the cover amount applied for, whichever is lower
- Automatically in place when we receive your application
- Cover expires when a decision is made. Either we accept, postpone or reject your application, or you tell us you no longer want to proceed
- Covers against accidental death, but not death through a pre-existing health issue or suicide
What you need to know
ADB provides cover where a bodily injury is sustained caused by accidental, violent, external and visible means, and the sole cause of death.
The following exclusions apply in the event of an accidental death.
- Self-inflicted injury, including suicide and attempted suicide
- Alcohol or recreational drugs
- Active duty in the Armed Forces
- Radioactivity exposure
- Participation in criminal activity
Why could I be left to wait for a decision?
In certain circumstances we might not be able to provide you with an instant decision. Every Life Insurance application is different, and personal to the individual. In some circumstances there is no set answer to a question within this application, and we may be presented with a situation that we have not accounted for. In this situation we might ask for more details for further clarification on your situation.
This only happens with a small proportion of the applications we receive, and we attempt to make a decision as soon as we have received your additional details.
Making a claim for accidental death benefit
An ADB claim differs to Life Insurance in some ways because the policy hasn’t officially begun. However, the process follows a similar pattern to a policy claim.
- Unlike Life Insurance, you cannot email loved ones with your application details
- For this reason we only require the applicants personal details when a claim is made
- The payout will form part of your estate and will be paid according to the terms of your will, or if there is no will, according to the rules of intestacy (see our claims process)
Other free benefits with your policy