Lost love letters9 February, 2015
When you take out life insurance with Beagle Street, we give you the option to use our Personal Message service to send a message to loved ones.
To inspire people to be more romantic with their messages to loved ones ahead of Valentine’s Day this Saturday we asked over 1,000 people to vote on the greatest love letters ever written.
Country music legend Johnny Cash’s heartfelt note to “the greatest woman I ever met” on his wife June Carter’s 65th birthday topped the list, followed by Winston Churchill’s words of undying love to his “darling Clemmie” in 1935.
Other romantic notes include letters from poet John Keats, rock and roll great Jimi Hendrix and King Henry VIII in 1527. Proof then that a well written letter can stand the test of time and provide a permanent record of affection.
Hopefully our research will inspire people to write down and share how they feel with a loved one – and help keep the love letter alive.
TOP TEN GREATEST LOVE LETTERS
- Johnny Cash wishes wife June Carter Cash a happy 65th birthday (1994)
- Winston Churchill tells wife Clementine Churchill of his undying love (1935)
- John Keats tells next door neighbour Fanny Brawne he can not live without her (1819)
- Ernest Hemingway professes his love to Marlene Dietrich (1951)
- Napoleon Bonaparte sends his love to Josephine de Beauharnais (1796)
- Richard Burton tells Elizabeth Taylor of her beauty (1964)
- King Henry VIII expresses his love for Anne Boleyn (1527)
- Beethoven pens his love for his ‘Immortal Beloved’ whose true identity remains a mystery (1812)
- Gerald Ford reminds wife Betty Ford of his and their family’s love for her shortly after she was diagnosed with breast cancer (1974)
- Jimi Hendrix tells his “little girl” to spread her wings (date unknown)
Your chance to win!
Whether it’s a love note from a partner or a message from a best friend, we want to hear about a time when you or someone you know has been made to feel truly special. Share your story or picture on our Facebook page
for a chance to win a beautiful journal from Aspinal of London and a £100 John Lewis voucher.